Thursday, May 10, 2012

Mono, weight loss and me

So just a couple days after I last updated I got two VERY important things. Number one: A JOB! I'm working at a Sport Clips. It's pretty fun. Honestly not what I dreamed of doing, but for now it's great. I'm planning on staying at least a few months so le boyfriend and I can pay off some of our credit card debt before we make the big leap into cohabitation (realistically that will be a very small leap, if I were less budget crazy we'd be apartment hunting in a few weeks). Then I'll start looking into full service again.

Important thing Number two: I got mono. I shit you not. 29 years old. The morning I got the job offer I woke up with that achey joint feeling I associate with getting a cold. Two days later I took my uninsured ass to urgent care where I was misdiagnosed with the flu, then two days after that my mom had my blood ran and according to her my mono jumped up faster than the control line. Apparently you can get mono from stress - I'd been taking the job search really really hard and it was starting to get to me. It was wearing on my relationship and my family life and pretty much everything.

I was very, very sick for about 10 days. I was in pain all the time, couldn't stay awake for more than two hours at a time (and still get quite tired), and thanks to the fever that came and went every night I wound up with a mouth full of literally 30 canker sores. I couldn't brush my teeth without crying from rubbing the toothbrush against them, I had canker sores on my tongue, the roof of my mouth, the inside of my lips, my cheeks and down my throat.

During at least 5 of those 10 days guess what I couldn't do. Did you guess eat? Yeah, you'd be right. I lost 16 pounds in 6 days, and that's only what I'm sure of. I hadn't weighed before. I was living on meal replacement shakes and even those hurt like hell to drink. It was a blast. I decided to take the lemons mono had given me and make lemonade though, and once I started to feel better decided that mono was designed to jump start SERIOUS weight loss. The first week after returning to eating I gained back half a pound (which I fully expected), and since then I've lost 3 more pounds -- meaning I'm just over 20 pounds away from my first short term goal of 40 pounds and being able to color my hair! Oh GOD I cannot wait to start it. Honestly I might only make it to 30 before I can't take it anymore and have to grab the color remover.

I'm still reformatting my schedule, hopefully I'll have time to finish that this week, and I'm going to be (re)starting with the 30 Day Shred AND Couch to 5K beeeeecause. . .

I'm running a 5K in August!

Several of my best friends and I are going to be running in The Sacramento Color Run! I am so excited to be sharing the experience and running in my first (of many!) official races.

Look for another post from me in a few days with an updated schedule, Weigh In Wednesday annnnnnnd progress photos! It's long over due, but I finally feel like a flip switched and I'm ready to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment